The People Loop
Having worked with some amazing companies over the years, I’ve created a simple model/loop that summaries my view of the best approach to developing talent.
It works like this:
- Start with profiling the role(s) you wish to recruit for by assessing the characteristics, attitudes, behaviours, skills and experience necessary – one way this can be done is to properly profile your existing very best people in each role.
- Recruit with as wide a net as possible. Get clear about the “must have’s” but then look beyond the current experience of candidates and see their potential.
- Put all suitable candidates through a rigorous, yet fun assessment process so they reveal their true personality and character. At this point reassess if they will be a good fit and if they are right for the required role(s).
- Make the first experience a truly memorable one. Allocate at least a week to “onboard” in the right way, making sure the values and culture of the company are completely understood and ingrained.
- Train, train, train. Give the new recruits the best possible chance to succeed in their new role with a training programme that forms the best habits.
- Reward and most importantly recognise their achievements – catch them doing things right.
- Develop their potential through a personal and individual programme. Help them see a better version of themselves and show them possibilities of how they can achieve it.
- Review their progress. Identify opportunities for their improvement and for the People Process to be improved. Feedback the insights into the profile(s) for the role(s).
- “Rinse and repeat.”
If you have been sent this newsletter by a colleague and would like to register to receive the four-i Newsletter yourself, you can sign up hereFollow our social channels here: